We all have words we live by… be it a slogan, an old saying or a piece of good advice that has been passed down through the ages. Sometimes we take them from others, sometimes we borrow philosophies from legends, and sometimes we just downright make our own.
Here are the words inspired by others, created by me and grouped together for your fashion consideration – maybe they will find their way into your lifestyle and outlook .
- Stop following trends. Trends are great – amazing in fact… but not for everyone! It is fun to discover a new style or cut, but don’t go out of bounds transforming yourself into something you are not every season. Be yourself and never strive from that path. When you are true to the things you love and find practical, personalized pieces not only will you hang on to them longer but they will add to your personal sense of style. Remember to always wear the clothing as oppose to allowing it to wear you!
- Absorb the inspiration all around you. Fashion and life is so much more than what designers and media dictate to us all. Pick up a book, take a walk, talk to someone inspiring and unique, disconnect from what is being spoon fed to you. Get into your own things (things that are normally so much more profound than what mainstream society actually dares to reveal) and allow your experiences to establish streams of thoughts and ideas connected to your clothing. Some of my favorite wardrobe staples are ones that remind me of great painters, sculptures or movements. Fashion has a history – get excited about it!
- Match! There is nothing that brings an outfit together better than when the wearer has truly taken the time to pick up on minuscule details and pair them with bold accessories and statement pieces. Pay attention to the color of the stitching on your jeans… take note of the undertone color of the print in your shirt and give it something to relate to! Life feels better when connections are made .
- Stop being afraid of makeup. Few realize the beauty of escapism that makeup allows. It is more than just getting dolled up in the morning – it is you time. It is time where you can pull out your artists brushes and play artiste to the personality you want to channel that day. Makeup is just as liberating as trying on a new dress – it shifts your mood, exposes the person you want to play up, and creates the perfect companion to any and every greatly put together outfit.
- Depend on your clothes. Your wardrobe is a collection (and selection) of all the different parts of your life. You should always hold the confidence to be able to pull something suitable for any event/setting out of your closet. If you find you are someone who is constantly buying just to consume and never keep and cherish, then you are doing something wrong. Lots of clothes are not what you need – lots of the right clothes are what you need! Invest in pieces that will last you years upon years that you know you will never fall sick of. Don’t be afraid to sometimes save up and get what you really want as opposed to fillers you’ll rarely ever use.
- Comfort is key. I don’t care how beautiful the pair of shoes, dress, pants are – if they don’t fit properly or are not comfortable DON’T BUY THEM!!! How many times have I experienced friends squeezing their feet into the last pair of shoes at the store only to buy them and after one use never wear them again? Don’t put your body through that kind of strife! Be good to the temple that repairs itself and allows you so many amazing experiences every single day – don’t bully it with mal-fitting clothing!
Understand that grace/sophistication points get taken off your entire appeal when you are picking the underwear out of your butt or limping down the sidewalk in pain from too-high heels!
Life is yours (and so is your fashion sense), make your own rules and own it with authenticity!