There is something I deeply resent about the first Sex and the City movie… when Carrie is reading Lily a fairytale and gently reminds her that endings so perfect only happen in fantasy lands.
It may have been too early for her to tell, but she was smack dead right in the middle of her own love story (just too impatient to see it through without assuming)… You see, she forgot that through all of the most memorable stories of princes and princesses, there is always an evil goblin, witch or dragon working against them… always demons to conquer to prove your love and devotion to another. In fact, the original Grimm’s fairy tales were quite gory and horrid… so lets just thank our lucky starts nothing like that happened to our lovely leading lady!
Point being, sometimes we idealize SO much on other people’s stories that we forget to live out our own… chances are your own love story will be the most romantic you’ve ever heard when all is said and done!
In the meantime, let your mind drift with these beautiful prints reminiscent of Hansel and Gretel .
Cheers to love and slaying those dragons!
I am no stranger when it comes to lovin’ all things pin-up, retro and rockabilly… there is something about the glamor it lends that is able to transcend space and time to make you feel like a seductive and elegant lady.
You tell me – what on earth could a girl want more than navy stripes, cherry red accents and formfitting little summer dresses? There are SO many delicious little items I would love to snap up from Onze (Tom’s wedges – but doesn’t everyone want a piece of ‘em?, Colcci pin-up dresses, peacock underwear… *sigh*) all perfect for those hot summer days and picnics in the park… I can smell the romance!
Above anything else, retro fashion is versatile and adds heaps of personality to your already prominent one .
Enjoy the sunshine and pack some sandwiches… welcome to the good life!
OK, here it is . My first post in the Onze Blog. What to write ??? Ahh. I, who normally can’t stop long enough to let another person get a word in, …am blank! Jonathan, no comment. Well first off, let me introduce myself. My name is Annie , and I am the creative director behind Boutique Onze stores. I have been obsessed with fashion, from the time I was 4 years old. I live it and I even dream about it, yes literally. It started when I was 15 and would design the most creative, avant-garde clothes in my dreams, the kind of designs I would never have thought of while awake, so I started putting a paper and pencil next to my bed, as to draw them fast when I woke up, before forgetting them.
Yesterday, I was walking through Carré St Louis and noticed they colored their tables and chairs in such beautiful colors, it really looked to great. What a little color can do is amazing. I could just imagine myself wearing my Garden Party dresses, while having a Mocha Almond Fudge. mmm
When I arrived this morning at the boutique, a little box was waiting for me in front of the cash counter. It was full of new earrings! Ladies, being feminine is becoming an it right now! Leave the big loop earrings and wifebeaters. A cute floral dress or top with those earrings is a perfect kit for this Summer in Montréal!
Come and get them at our three boutiques, and come fast because they get sold very quickly! Those earrings are not available online!
Pugs are irresistible in EVERY. WAY! For those of you who know even a smidgen about me, you know how completely and utterly obsessed I am with these creatures that don’t quite fit in the category of being “just” a dog. There is something about their character that gets you hooked and keeps you tirelessly coming back for more…
… could it be their smashed-in faces? Or maybe their snorts, grunts and wheezing…
… or maybe it’s how they burrow under covers and curl into tiny little balls (that make for great replacement water bottles)…
… or that they resemble pigs via curly tails and an insatiable appetite for any and every kind of food out there… lol… oh piggles…
Sooooo… you can only IMAGINE how amazing I think this pug pillow is!!! The greatest thing though, is how the staff at the Onze shops dress them up differently every week or so … when I dropped by on Friday they were wearing golf hats… hehehehehe…
Go get yours before I buy them all and assemble my very own pug pillow army (no… seriously, I ain’t jokin’ folks)!!!
We all have words we live by… be it a slogan, an old saying or a piece of good advice that has been passed down through the ages. Sometimes we take them from others, sometimes we borrow philosophies from legends, and sometimes we just downright make our own.
Here are the words inspired by others, created by me and grouped together for your fashion consideration – maybe they will find their way into your lifestyle and outlook .
- Stop following trends. Trends are great – amazing in fact… but not for everyone! It is fun to discover a new style or cut, but don’t go out of bounds transforming yourself into something you are not every season. Be yourself and never strive from that path. When you are true to the things you love and find practical, personalized pieces not only will you hang on to them longer but they will add to your personal sense of style. Remember to always wear the clothing as oppose to allowing it to wear you!
- Absorb the inspiration all around you. Fashion and life is so much more than what designers and media dictate to us all. Pick up a book, take a walk, talk to someone inspiring and unique, disconnect from what is being spoon fed to you. Get into your own things (things that are normally so much more profound than what mainstream society actually dares to reveal) and allow your experiences to establish streams of thoughts and ideas connected to your clothing. Some of my favorite wardrobe staples are ones that remind me of great painters, sculptures or movements. Fashion has a history – get excited about it!
- Match! There is nothing that brings an outfit together better than when the wearer has truly taken the time to pick up on minuscule details and pair them with bold accessories and statement pieces. Pay attention to the color of the stitching on your jeans… take note of the undertone color of the print in your shirt and give it something to relate to! Life feels better when connections are made .
- Stop being afraid of makeup. Few realize the beauty of escapism that makeup allows. It is more than just getting dolled up in the morning – it is you time. It is time where you can pull out your artists brushes and play artiste to the personality you want to channel that day. Makeup is just as liberating as trying on a new dress – it shifts your mood, exposes the person you want to play up, and creates the perfect companion to any and every greatly put together outfit.
- Depend on your clothes. Your wardrobe is a collection (and selection) of all the different parts of your life. You should always hold the confidence to be able to pull something suitable for any event/setting out of your closet. If you find you are someone who is constantly buying just to consume and never keep and cherish, then you are doing something wrong. Lots of clothes are not what you need – lots of the right clothes are what you need! Invest in pieces that will last you years upon years that you know you will never fall sick of. Don’t be afraid to sometimes save up and get what you really want as opposed to fillers you’ll rarely ever use.
- Comfort is key. I don’t care how beautiful the pair of shoes, dress, pants are – if they don’t fit properly or are not comfortable DON’T BUY THEM!!! How many times have I experienced friends squeezing their feet into the last pair of shoes at the store only to buy them and after one use never wear them again? Don’t put your body through that kind of strife! Be good to the temple that repairs itself and allows you so many amazing experiences every single day – don’t bully it with mal-fitting clothing!
Understand that grace/sophistication points get taken off your entire appeal when you are picking the underwear out of your butt or limping down the sidewalk in pain from too-high heels!
Life is yours (and so is your fashion sense), make your own rules and own it with authenticity!
Beautiful artwork courtesy of the amazing artist known as OP, and the awesome paper dolls available in-store at Onze